Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) Resource Package
Welcome to Embodia’s Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) Resource Package, created by Cheryl Wylie, a vestibular physiotherapist.
This Resource Package includes the following:
- Access to all BPPV tests and treatment videos which will be added to your Embodia Exercise Library. These exercise videos are designed to speak directly to the patient to guide them through the test or treatment. This can be used as a resource with telehealth appointments, prescribed via Embodia's web and mobile apps, or can be printed off as follow-up care after a treatment session.
- A Practitioner’s BPPV Flow Chart. This chart is the simplest and easiest to follow BPPV flow chart available, including step-by-step directions for all treatment maneuvers for quick access in a clinic setting.
- BPPV Patient Education Handout, designed to educate your patient about their BPPV, and reduce anxiety and fear around the condition.
Who is this Resource Package For?
This Resource Package is intended for physiotherapists, occupational therapists, chiropractors, kinesiologists, athletic therapists, PTA/OTAs, medical doctors, nurses, and anyone else in the healthcare industry who may come across individuals with BPPV.
You can prescribe these exercises to your patients if you are an Embodia Member (subscriber). The Embodia Membership includes home exercise prescription, free mobile apps for practitioners and patients, remote patient engagement and monitoring, two-way messaging, telerehab, and more (including a bonus of 80 free online courses). You can easily subscribe by going to My Profile > My Memberships on your account or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
BPPV Feature: Assessing and Treating Dizziness
Join Cheryl Wylie, vestibular physiotherapist, in this 90-minute course BPPV Feature: Assessing and Treating Dizziness. This course is in correlation with this Resource Package.
Not all therapists are interested in taking post-graduate courses to learn vestibular rehabilitation, but many know the importance of recognizing BPPV with our patients, and the value of being able to resolve it. Take this opportunity to learn more about this condition and feel comfortable completing the test and treatment maneuvers with your patients.
During this course, we will:
- Review the anatomy and physiology of the vestibular system in relation to BPPV
- Discuss how BPPV occurs, the difference between canalisthiasis and cupulolithiasis, and which canals of the inner ear are most affected
- Go over the typical and atypical signs and symptoms of BPPV to look for in your patients
- Learn about nystagmus, how it occurs, and how it specifically presents in BPPV
- Complete BPPV assessment maneuvers including the Dix-Hallpike and the Head Roll Test
- Be able to generate a diagnosis based off our assessment findings
- Learn various treatment maneuvers and how to select which maneuver is best for which condition
Note that this course isn't just for therapist new to BPPV. We discuss new and emerging evidence around BPPV, so for therapists who are already treating this condition, join along to stay up to date on this condition!
Healing Vertigo is an App designed to walk you through the assessment and treatment of BPPV. It uses the same patient-directed videos and treatment logic flow discussed in this webinar and resource package, making it a seamless resource for you and your patients. Use it as a practitioner treatment guide with your BPPV patients, or recommend it to you patient's post-treatment for self-management of this condition. It reduces the challenge of BPPV treatment significantly, and gives you and your patients more confidence in taking on this condition.
Visit the Healing Vertigo Website to learn more!
MSc(PT), Vestibular Physiotherapist, Co-Founder of Healing Vertigo
Cheryl Wylie is a registered physiotherapist, receiving her Masters of Science in Physiotherapy from McMaster University in 2010. Prior to this she completed her Honours Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology from the University of Waterloo. She continued her education and completed with success the Vestibular Rehabilitation Competency-Based Course in Atlanta, GA hosted by Emory University and the American Physical Therapy Association. Since then, she has taken ongoing courses with a focus on vestibular and concussion rehabilitation, as well as shared her knowledge through in-services and lectures both locally and abroad.
Cheryl is passionate about increasing accessibility of physiotherapy services and has developed an App and YouTube Channel called Healing Vertigo. These platforms increase awareness of BPPV and provide testing and treatment videos to assist patients and practitioners alike in the treatment of this condition.
Course Material included in this course
Understanding Your BPPV - Patient Education Handout
Practitioner Assessment and Treatment Flow Chart
Patient Exercises included in this course
Right Side Lying Test
Right Semont's Treatment
Right Epley Maneuver
Right Gufoni Treatment
Right Casani Treatment
Right BBQ Roll Treatment
Left Side Lying Test
Left Semont's Treatment
Left Gufoni Treatment
Left Epley Maneuver
Left BBQ Roll Treatment
Left Casani Treatment
Head Roll Test
Patient Education included in this course
Understanding Your BPPV
Templates included in this course
All BPPV Tests
All BPPV Treatment