Practical Assessment and Treatment Strategies for Lymphedema
The course will be an overview of the assessment and treatment of secondary lower leg lymphedema. Lymphedema is swelling caused by the abnormal accumulation of lymphatic fluid in tissue spaces due to damage to the lymphatic system after gynecological surgery and radiation treatments. After cancer treatments, lymphedema is the most common complication affecting up to 49% of people.
The anatomy and physiology of the lymphatic system, the clinical presentation of lymphedema and differential diagnosis will be discussed in this course. Also, practical tools will be taught for the pelvic health therapist to identify, assess and provide treatment for the swelling. Evidence will be presented to support interventions where applicable, and a discussion on resources available for clinicians will be shared.
In This Online Physiotherapy Course, You’ll Learn:
- About a practical assessment and treatment strategies for lower leg lymphedema.
- An introduction to lymphedema.
- What is the lymphatic system?
- What is lymphedema?
- An overview of managing patients who are at risk.
- An overview of the additional resources available.
What’s Included In This Online Physiotherapy Course?
- More than 50 minutes of video lessons.
- Bite-sized information: All of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
- A special coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
This online course is for all rehabilitation professionals, including physiotherapists, physiotherapy assistants, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants, chiropractors, athletic therapists, exercise therapists, kinesiologists among others. This course is also relevant for movement specialists, yoga teachers, yoga therapists, and those interested in learning more about pelvic floor health and wellness.
This course imparted by Pelvic Health Solutions (PHS) contains the recorded lectures from the 4th annual Pelvic Health Symposium in 2017. This course will challenge your theoretical and practical knowledge of pelvic health. Listen to their knowledge, and deepen your understanding of pelvic health and all of the factors that will make you a top-notch, excellent practitioner. You don’t have to be a practicing internal pelvic health therapist in order to benefit from this course - If your patient has a pelvis, you will benefit from this online course!
Pelvic Health Solutions (PHS) is an evidence-based teaching company that aims to educate and empower physiotherapists, healthcare professionals, and everyday people about pelvic health.
PHS was founded in 2010 out of the need to develop pelvic health resources in Ontario at a time when it was an under-serviced health concern. PHS provides continuing education courses, mentoring, and clinical resources for a variety of practitioners with the goal of equipping them to deliver evidence-based, biopsychosocial assessment and treatment of pelvic health problems in our province and abroad.
Our company also exists as a way to connect people experiencing pelvic health concerns to pelvic health physiotherapists in their area. PHS has ultimately blossomed into a community of curious people who are committed to providing hope and healing to those who suffer from pelvic health issues.
BScPT , MLD
Course Material included in this course
What About My Swollen Leg? Practical Assessment and Treatment Strategies for Lymphedema
What is the Lymphatic System
What is Lymphedema
Managing Patients who are at Risk