Yoga and Science in Pain Care
Expert Series Episode 26: Yoga And Science In Pain Care With Neil Pearson, Shelly Prosko, And Marlysa Sullivan.
About The Course
The co-editors/co-authors of Yoga and Science in Pain Care, Shelly Prosko, Marlysa Sullivan and Neil Pearson shared some of the key concepts presented in their new textbook, spoke about how people can use the book to assist people living in pain, and answered audience questions related to pain, the lived experience of pain, and yoga therapy as part of evidence-based pain care.
In This Online Healthcare Course, You Will Learn:
- Are there certain patients or conditions that seem to benefit most from the addition of yoga therapy?
- Does adding yoga therapy to PT improves PT care?
- Are we suggesting that yoga therapists should learn ‘western’ pain care including PT?
- What’s one thing about the assessment or care of people in pain that you learned in the process of writing for the book?
- What’s the one key technique or concept that you wish everyone knew and used?
Who Is This Course For?
This online course is for all rehabilitation professionals, including physiotherapists, physiotherapy assistants, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants, chiropractors, athletic therapists, exercise therapists, kinesiologists among others.
What’s Included In This Online Healthcare Course?
- 49 minutes 45 seconds of video lessons.
- Bite-sized information: all of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
- A Special Coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
How Can I Get This Course For Free?
This course is specially priced for Embodia Members. The benefit of becoming an Embodia Member includes free and discounted courses, free webinars, professional development coaching, and home exercise software. The Embodia Membership is only $15/month (or $13.50 on our annual plan). You can become an Embodia Member by visiting this page: https://embodiaapp.com/subscriptions If you are interested in group/staff viewing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a group discount. The larger the group, the larger the discount.
Contact us at email@example.com and we will respond to your request within 2 business days.
PT, CPI, C-IAYT
Shelly is a physiotherapist, yoga therapist, educator and pioneer of PhysioYoga with over 20 years of experience integrating yoga into rehabilitation with a focus on helping people suffering from chronic or persistent pain, pelvic health conditions and professional burnout. She guest lectures at yoga and physiotherapy programs, presents at yoga therapy and medical conferences globally, provides mentorship to health providers, offers onsite and online continuing education courses for yoga and health professionals and is a Pain Care U Yoga Trainer. She maintains a clinical practice in Sylvan Lake, Canada and believes that cultivating meaningful connections, compassion and joy can be powerful contributors to recovery and well-being. Shelly is co-editor of the book Yoga and Science in Pain Care: Treating the Person in Pain.
Please visit www.physioyoga.ca to learn more
PT, MSc(RHBS), BA-BPHE, CIAYT, ERYT500
Neil Pearson is a physiotherapist, yoga therapist and Clinical Assistant Professor at University of British Columbia. He is founding chair of the Canadian Physiotherapy Pain Science Division, the first PT to receive the Canadian Pain Society's Excellence in Interprofessional Pain Education award, and a previous Director with Pain BC. He has received awards from Queen’s University and the Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia for his clinical work and teaching.
As a yoga therapist, Neil is certified with the International Association of Yoga Therapists, faculty in four yoga therapist training programs, and has trained over 2000 practitioners in the integration of pain science, pain care and yoga as therapy through his IAYT approved Pain Care Yoga certificate courses. Neil works for the Doctors of British Columbia developing and delivering Continuing Medical Education on pain management including yoga.
His recent accomplishments include lead contributor to Pain BC’s online Pain Foundations course and their Gentle Movement and Relaxation Series, and author/coeditor of the textbook, Yoga and Science in Pain Care. His patient education book, Understand Pain Live Well Again, published in 2007, has been translated to French and (written) Mandarin. His online pain care programs, First 5 Steps and Pain Care for Life are available at www.lifeisnow.ca, while www.paincareu.com is Neil’s pain care website.
Course Material included in this course
Expert Series - Highlights
Is Yoga Therapy More Helpful for Certain Patients/Conditions?
Resources for Integrating Yoga into Your Practice